Sunday, June 15, 2008

Summer Ministry

Although I am beyond my college years, I decided to do a ministry intership this summer....below is my support letter. Please let me know if you can help out in any way! A need not included in the letter is a van. My car only seats 5, and most of my volunteers do not drive. This means transporting volunteers and students to events always takes several trips. If you hear of someone wanting to donate a van or sell one for dirt cheap, please let me know!


Dear Friend,

Blessings! I am writing to you today to tell you about an amazing ministry that I am blessed to be a part of and to let you know how you can join me in reaching kids for the Kingdom!

In March of 2007 I began volunteering with Youth for Christ. When I made the decision to volunteer with YFC I was most impressed by the unwavering vision of the organization: "To see every young person in every people group in every nation have the opportunity to make an informed decision to be a follower of Jesus Christ and become part of a local church" (http://www.yfc.net). YFC has several divisions ministering to youth from all ages and lifestyles, with Christ at the core of them all. As you know, God has given me a burning compassion for the inner city. Because of this pull on my heart, I have partnered with City Life, which is a program that reaches urban youth in their communities.

In March of this year City Life expanded its program, opening a new Bible Club at Jefferson Elementary School in downtown Fresno. At that time I accepted the volunteer position of Club Director at the Jefferson site. Since that time I have loved building relationships with some amazing kids. Just days ago I had the privilege of taking four students to their first baseball game. It is my goal that through activities such as these, youth will not only experience fun, but they will also experience the love of Christ. Although the smiles on their faces at that baseball game were priceless, the ultimate reward this semester was the joy of leading six students in making first-time decisions to accept Christ as their personal Savior.

An important part of urban ministry is follow through and discipleship. Many of the youth who are involved in City Life do not have Christian role models in their lives outside of YFC. Because of this I will be interning with YFC throughout the summer. The purpose of my internship is to disciple and mentor a core group of student leaders from Jefferson, to have activities throughout the summer to keep the connections that have been made with a larger group of youth, and to build partnerships with individuals and organizations that will support the Jefferson Club year around.

There are many ways you can be involved in this exciting ministry. These include prayer partnership, financial support, donations of craft supplies and snacks, donations of event tickets, participating in the walk-a-thon on June 28th, and offering time or talents you would like to share with these spiritually hungry youth.

My financial goal is to bring in at least $1,000. Money donations will be applied toward Youth For Christ's summer internships and programs, which include my Jefferson Development project, VBS, an art program, cooking classes, dance classes and other outreaches that eight other interns and I will conduct throughout the summer.

God is moving in amazing ways among the least of these in our city. Please join me in being His hands and feet!

God Bless,
Rebecca Allen

Donations can be mailed to:
Youth for Christ
1401 Divisadero Street
Fresno, CA 93721

No comments: