Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Some Things I Don't Understand

I don't understand...

How one can fill their pool, take 2 showers a day, wash their car, forget about the hose running on the front lawn, and run the dishwasher 3 times a day, all with drinkable water, while another lives without access to clean water.

How one can spend $2000 on a purse, while another can't afford the couple of dollars a year in school fees, and will never be given the opportunity to get an education.

How one can spend more on makeup for one month than it would cost to provide anti-virals to an AIDS patient for an entire year.

How one can purge themselves to the point of fatigue and throw away enough leftovers to feed an entire family, while another will not find enough food to live for one more day.

How one can sleep in a warm bed with a soft mattress and blankets and pillows, while another sleeps on a dirt floor, not able to afford a $5 mosquito net to protect their children from malaria.

How one can buy designer shoes, jeans, jackets, and purses, while another whose hands made those designer clothes cannot afford to feed their famliy.

How one can spend thousands on plastic surgery while another dies from lack of basic immunizations and health care.

And sometimes I don't understand how I, who has seen the most desperate kind of poverty first hand, can still spend $10 on a movie and $4 on a cup of coffee when I know this money could feed a child for a month.

Don't get me wrong. I am so thankful for the blessings God has given me personally, and given us, as a country. But contrary to popular belief donating an old bag of clothes or volunteering in a food pantry once a year is not enough. I don't know when or how we got so greedy and decided that service should be convenient or be comfortable. I honestly believe that when we submit to greed and cower from sacrifice we limit the true blessings God has for us.

I could go on, as this is something that weighs heavy on my heart day after day, but I will leave you with this:

"Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on." Mark 12:41-43

Here are a couple opportunities to sacrifice:
World Vision
Compassion International

-Rebecca

No comments: