Thursday, January 14, 2010



This is Lorkems, who I sponsor through Compassion International. I received this updated picture in the mail today. As I hold this picture in my hand, I am anxiously waiting to hear if Lorkems and his family still have a home, if they have enough food and water to survive, and ultimately if they survived the 7.0 earthquake that struck Haiti on Tuesday.

I have sponsored Lorkems for five-and-a-half years now. I still await the day when I can actually hug him and laugh with him in person, but I love him all the same. He is my friend and my family, and has blessed my life in unimaginable ways. Since hearing news of the quake, he has been on my heart and mind every passing second. I have an aching knot that reminds me constantly to pray for him and for Haiti. It hurts the most to not be able to be there and hold him in the midst if the chaos that now surrounds him.

Fortunately, I know that God has placed him with Compassion, and that aside from his biological family, he has family in his project to comfort him, care for him, and be the love Christ to him.

Although there has not been clear communication from Compassion's Haiti office since the quake, is is estimated that at least 1/3 of Compassion's 65,00 registered children were devastatingly affected. Many deaths, destroyed homes, and destroyed church based Compassion projects are and expected result of this tragedy.

In this time of despair for an entire nation, please pray for Haiti. Pray for healing and rebuilding, for hope in a hopeless time, and however else God may lead.

As I close I ask that you consider what an unbelievably blessed country we live, and ask that you would pass some of that blessing on to our brothers and sisters in Haiti. If God has given you a nudge to help in this disaster, but you are not sure how to do that or which organization to trust, please consider donating through Compassion. You can make an online donation here. I have traveled with Compassion, I have seen first hand the ministry they live out day to day, and I know that in this time of need the staff of Compassion International are on the frontlines, and that every penny of every donation is equipping them to be the hands and feet of Christ.

-Rebecca

No comments: