Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Greater Gift

I have reached a place in my life where I have come to realize how overwhelmingly blessed I am, and I am so thankful for so many things.

At the top of this list are my grandparents.

A year ago my Grandpa Allen passed away. At his funeral a time was given for anyone who wanted to stand and share to do so. Person after person stood up, and soon, even for those in the room who had never met my grandpa, it was clear the kind of character he had.

One story that stands out in my mind is one a friend of his told. My grandpa had gone to the boot store with a couple of men to buy work boots. My grandpa bought the best pair of sturdy quality boots they had, but he never even put them on. Sunday he took them to church, and told his friend (the one telling the story) that he had bought these boots, but they weren't really his style. He wondered if his friend would take them off his hands so they wouldn't go to waste. His friend, who needed new boots, was so blessed by this action, that 50 years later he stood to tell about it at my grandpa's funeral.

I am blessed to have the rest of my grandparents still with me, and still leading exemplary lives. My grandpa and grandma Doerksen, well into their 80's, are shining lights in their assisted living home. Not only do they share the love of Christ in every possible situation, they lead a worship and Bible study time each morning, and their ministry continues to be fruitful.

With all that said, words cannot express how thankful I am to have grown up with my grandparents leading by example. Many books and sermons tell me how to live a life like Christ, and how to be a servant leader, but the best teachers are those people I have watched my whole life, living out their love in actions and in truth. We have never been a family of material fortunes, but of heavenly fortunes we have plenty.

No comments: