Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Challenge. November 2010.

Sorry, I am running behind for November's challenge!

Last month I read Radical by David Platt. This book challenges "the norm" for many American churches and Christians, and compares our lifestyles and value system with what the Bible actually demands of us. You should definitely take the time to read this book, and read it well.

David Platt ends the book with 5 challenges, which are all crucial for us, as the church, to fulfill the purpose of the church. For this month's challenge I am going to focus on 1 of these 5 points.

Read through the entire word.

David Platt's challenges are aimed to be achieved over the course of a year. I am definitely not saying to read the entire word this month. My challenge for you and myself is to find a "Bible in a Year" plan that fits you best, and stick to it.

I find that I do well reading the Bible regularly, but I also seem to lean towards certain books, and read them often while the pages of others seem to gather dust.

It is important that when you choose a plan to read the Bible in a year, that you choose a plan that fits you. Some prefer a little of this and a little of that to break up the long reading sessions (a little Old Testament and a litte New Testament). Some prefer a plan that goes from cover to cover. Personally, I will be doing a reading plan that goes chronologically. I have never read the Bible this way, and I am excited to learn more about the time frame of all the characters and events in the Bible. And, to make it easy, all these Bible reading plans are available here.

One more important point that I want to make is this...even though the quantity you read daily may increase by taking on this challenge, please do not let the quality of your reading suffer. Take time in silence to prepare yourself to focus on God's word and any revelations He wants to show you. Set aside enough time to thoroughly read the passages and meditate on them. Journal and ask God questions that may arise. You may be amazed at the newness that He reveals through words that you have read many times before.

1 comment:

Cathrine said...

i tried doing this after i read radical but could never keep myself accountable....time to step it up...thanks for the encouragement blogger friend!