Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Broken Beauty

This is Juju.


I have known her since I was in third grade and she was in diapers. Her mom helped my mom care for my sister and I during a hard time in life. Her family is my family.

She is my sister.

Over the last several years my little sister has grown into a beautiful woman and a dear friend.

And last night she was more beautiful to me than ever.

Last night I saw her broken.

Juju had the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Thailand. For the last two weeks she lived in a village in the middle of nowhere.

She lived in a hut with a local family. She experienced a new way of living, bathing, eating, and serving.

She did a lot of physical work that no one would consider glamorous of fun. But she enjoyed it fully.

She served in any way needed, even when plans changed.

Yesterday Juju returned home from Thailand.

She returned home cultured and excited and joyful, and broken. As she shared her pictures and stories I could see and hear the joy just beaming out of her. And then she started talking about the organization she partnered with and how God was using them to love the Thai people and how God was using them to give them a hope and a future.

The way God is moving completely broke her. All the walls were gone and I could see Juju's heart, and it was beautiful.

I was honored to be there in such a moment when her love for God and his people was so evident.

More than ever I am so proud to call her my sister. And now more than ever I am beyond excited to see how God is going to use her unique passions and talents to bring light and love to the people of Thailand and beyond.


There is just something beyond beautiful when someone's heart is broken by the things that break the heart of God.

(Stay tuned...you will soon be hearing more about the wonderful organization Juju partnered with, as well as ways she will be partnering with them to continue to be a blessing to the Thai people).

No comments: