Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Lesson for all the Jerry Springer Type Daddies Out There

So this post is primarily a lesson for all the dads out there who don't step up and be the daddies they should be. You know, the kind that go on Jerry Springer cause, "That baby aint mine." Because, obviously, a lot of the people who frequent Jerry Springer also frequent my blog as well.

This message is brought to you by the animal kingdom. Specifically, three elephants who live in Zimbabwe. Three daddies.


I took this picture on Christmas day, after watching these beautiful creatures for a long time. And after I took this picture I sat and watched them some more. (Cause if you know me, I love elephants almost as much as whales. Or maybe I love whales almost as much as elephants...Anyways, I love them).

Watching these animals, Tecla and I were talking about how curious it was that all three adults looked like males. Elephants generally nurse for 4-5 years, and this little baby is years from being old enough to be far from its mother.

Turns out, we were right.

We found out that this baby's mother was shot and killed last March. Shortly after, people starting spotting this calf hanging around with these three bulls.

The survival of this little baby elephant is nothing short of miraculous in the animal world. Zimbabwe is full of wildlife, and any baby animal left without a mother to protect it falls innocent and easy prey to many animals. Not to mention, at the time the mother died, the baby would normally have depended on her for food for the next several years.

We observed as these elephants tromped around together. The three adult males would break up branches and leaves for the baby. If they got more than a few paces in front of the baby, they would slow down to allow her to catch up.

It was a beautiful thing to see.

Possibly one of the bulls is in fact this baby's father. But chances are they are all just real men, who stepped up to be daddies, because that was what needed to be done.

Thanks to these three daddies, this baby lives. And she runs happy and healthy and free. And I am not sure how it works in the animal kingdom, but I do believe that she is loved and she knows it.

5 comments:

Cathrine said...

Three men and a baby! Three men and a baby!

Shebecomes said...

Haha! Why didn't I think of that?

Anonymous said...

Haha, the title of this post was cute...and I loved the message! Way cool ;)

Unknown said...

Awwww this is perfect! I love elephants, and THIS is why!

Thanks for sharing!!

Jess Elyse said...

So, after seeing your post about the Jerry Springer, Google, and your blog. I typed in the phrase and you are right. You are number 1! haha
Then I read this article!
I loved it! Those elephants sure do paint a great picture of what it means to care for one another.

And I love elephants too! Good thing I go to a school where they are my mascot! haha :-)