Saturday, November 1, 2008

Thankful

Today is one of my favorite days of the year. It is the first day of November, Halloween (my least favorite day of the year) is over, and what is left is a clean crisp fall day. The witches and ghosts will be taken down and many will shift their focus to Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the many blessings they have to be grateful for. It is cloudy and cool outside, the perfect weather to wear a hoodie and flipflops and be perfectly cozy. The first rain has cleared the skies, and the fog has not arrived yet, leaving one of the few times in Fresno when you can truly see and appreciate the beautiful mountains. Today while I was driving from here to there and back, God brought to mind so many things that I have to be thankful for. In my mission to be a more positive person (as inspired by Lori Salierno) I have gotten in the habit of writing down atleast 10 things everyday that I am thankful for. The more I praise God for what he has given me the more I realize how much I have. Here are some of the things I thank God for today:

1. A safe home
2. Many children who bring joy to my life
3. God's grace
4. The leaves changing colors and the beauty of fall
5. My job
6. Ruth Nothando (The abandoned baby that I had the pleasure of helping save and name in Zimbabwe. She turned 2 recently. She is alive and loved and healthy.)
7. A few close friends who love me no matter what
8. Clean water
9. My church
10. Having the joy of seeing many of my friends experience becoming moms (some for the second time), being a part of that and seeing their happiness... its a good thing.

So, there you go. There are so many more things. Some big, some small, many overlooked. I encourage you to take time to think about those things and give thanks for them.

Shalom,
-Rebecca

No comments: