Sunday, May 16, 2010

To the Point of Sacrifice

I recently started a study on the book of Acts. It is one of those books that every time I read it, I notice different things. I think I have read through it at least 20 times, and each time God reveals new and exciting things.

Something that jumped out at me (and slapped me in the face) most recently is Acts chapter 2, verses 44-47:

All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Specifically verse 45:

Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

I have to ask myself, do we, as believers, do that today?

Sure, we tithe. We even give a little extra to missions. Maybe like me you sponsor a child or two or three. But what happens when there is a need that doesn't fit into our budget?

Do we, as believers, live sacrificial lives?

It is one thing to give what we can.

It is another thing to give, in faith, what we cannot.

I am going to be honest. Sometimes I feel God's tug at my heart to give beyond my comfort zone.

Sometimes I am obedient. I give, and God provides.

But more times than not I justify my way out of it.

You know, I tithe, and I already gave extra to this and extra to that, so for now I've done my part...maybe next time.

No big deal, right? Right?

Can these little acts of disobedience really effect the kingdom?

And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Because of the actions of the believers, people were being saved. Everyday.

Maybe not just because they gave sacrificially. But they were obedient in every way. To the point of sacrifice.

Con.vic.tion.

But what do I do next?

I pray.

I pray for wisdom. I pray for eyes to see where I have been disobedient. I pray for eyes to see opportunities to give. Opportunities to sacrifice. Faith to make those sacrifices. And I pray for a sincere heart. That I may give with joy. Sacrifice with love. Live in obedience.

And that through my obedience someone may see Christ.

Amen.

If you are interested, here is a story of a man name James who is living a life of sacrifice.

3 comments:

Tibbi & Choceet said...

w.o.w
Im convicted. This last week I suddenly, more than once had the strongest desire to sell everything in my house that I don't need (and believe me, thats a lot) so that I could give to those who don't have anything. I have to admit that as strong as that desire was, I also found a way to reason out of it - I already pay tithe, sponsor a child, give extra here and there as those times come - I found a way to reason that 'drastic' change wasn't absolutely necessary. But, perhaps it is. I was never aware of this verse before. Perhaps God is trying to tell me something. Thank you once again for sharing your heart Becca - you are anointed!

Anonymous said...

Becca, you are an encouragement continually with your blog. This one on Acts and giving to the point of sacrifice has become a nearly forgotten focus in the "Christian" realm. We have join the world in the materialism thinking that wants are needs and forgetting to even have compassion for anyone. This is a convicting scripture that we should take action on and not just shake our heads in agreement. Faith without works is dead. Thank you Rebecca for all that you write, for I know for a fact that you are truly one that takes action. Mom

Shebecomes said...

Mercedes- Have you ever read Richard Stearns' The Hole in Our Gospel? It is so packed with good stuff, about our responsibility as Christians to serve the poor, and also how we should go about doing it. He is the President of World Vision. It really is inspiring! I am re-reading it right now, and discovering so many things I missed the first time through.

Mom- Thanks :) Love you.