Saturday, January 22, 2011

Then and Now #5

This the is the Mgweya family.

Mrs. Mgweya with Spiwe on her back, Temba in front, and Mr. Mgweya


Mr. Mgweya after being paralyzed by a stroke, Mrs Mgweya with Spiwe on her back.

Mrs. Mgweya and Spiwe. I gave Mrs. Mgweya a copy of this picture on my recent visit and she just laughed and laughed and laughed. I asked why she was laughing, and she said it was partly glee from seeing her picture, and partly because she is now fat.  (Her words, not mine :)

Back in 2006-2007, the Mgweya family was not officially in the program, because although both parents were HIV+, both were living. Regardless, we often visited with them and helped them with necessities as needed.

Sadly, Mr. Mgweya passed away. Now Mrs. Mgweya, Temba, and Spiwe all benefit from monthly food distributions, clothing distributions, and help with schooling.



While I was there I was able to buy Temba a new school uniform, and he loved it. I love love love seeing these kids so excited, grateful, and eager for school and anything related.



And Spiwe, well, she's just excited, grateful, and eager about life.



Beautiful, aren't they?


5 comments:

~ melissa ~ said...

Yes, they are beautiful! Love your heart.

JD said...

I love your posts... beautiful people, beautiful hearts, like yours! It must be so amazing an experience to be able to see them again, after having been there before. That's what I'd like to do with the organization we're working with for our trip to Ghana. This encourages me!

Unknown said...

Hi Rebecca! STopping by from blogfrog. So glad I found you and will be following. This was a beautiful post and I bet you love reliving these precious moments in your life.
I have also donw a lot of missions and you are changed forever by it. Not many people understand, so glad I have someone who I can say..Yes she gets this thing:)
ashleymorganjackson.blogspot.com

Shebecomes said...

Ashley- I'm on my way to visit you now :)

Shebecomes said...

Melissa- the new blog is looking good...can't wait until the website is up and ready!

JD- Ghana! Thats exciting. Wasn't it going to be Mozambique? Or did I make that up? I'd love to hear your plans.