Saturday, January 24, 2009

Living with a Broken Heart

How often, when you worship, do you sing a song and really pay attention to the words? Especially if it is a song we have grown up with or have known for a long time, it is easy to just say the words out of habit or memory without really thinking about what they say or mean. There are so many songs that we sing all the time that are just packed with prayers that could change our world.

There is a worship song by Hillsong that my church sings on a regular basis called "Hosanna". One line of the song is a prayer asking, "Break my heart for what breaks yours."

This happens to be something I have prayed for the last few years, and is at the center of my prayer wall. It is not a prayer to be prayed lightly. A lot of things in our world break God's heart. He has given me a fraction of his heartbreak for a fraction of those things, and it is a lot of heartache.

So why would I pray to live with a broken heart?

Because God wants us to have passion. Because God wants us to lead prayerful lives. Because God wants us to be in this world but not of this world. Because God wants us to find our hope in Him.

What is breaking my heart right now? Poverty, AIDS, gangs, cholera, malaria, the moral state of my country, child soldiers, degradation of women, abuse, abortion, materialism, lack of investment in our education system and in our children, prostitution, addiction...and the list goes on.

Imagine what would happen if our country's leaders who claim to have faith in Christ would feel a portion of His heartbreak. Imagine what would happen if we all prayed for this heartbreak not only for ourselves but for our leaders as well. It is a prayer that I truly believe can change the world.

No comments: