Saturday, April 10, 2010

Was it Worth it?

A couple days ago I went One Day Without Shoes.

Did it really do any good? Was is really worth all the weird looks?

I would like to think so.

I have been on spring break this last week, so I did not go to work barefoot, but I did spend the morning at Youth for Christ. It was great! Most of the office joined in, and we printed out little info strips to hand out to people we encountered throughout the day.

There were several people I know who I saw throughout the day. When they didn't mention anything about me being barefoot, I asked them if they were curious as to why I wasn't wearing shoes. One person told me they assumed it was "some kind of people who love Africa thing," and I was told by another that they didn't think anything of it, because I am kind of a hippie. I will take those comments as compliments, thank you very much :)

So, throughout the day I was given the opportunity to share the cause with many, even with some women at my church. (Yes, I went to church barefoot)

Throughout the day I was able to share the facts about there being over 300 million children in the world who don't wear shoes, and the health effects of that. Perfectly enough, part of our study topic that evening at church was THANKFULNESS. The conversation came back around to the things we take for granted, and I got to share even more about some things I experienced on the mission field.

One thing that shocked me throughout the day was that everything I was saying seemed to be brand new information to a lot of people...even Christian people.

I love raising awareness about poverty, but I use to get so frustrated at things people didn't know. I eventually realized all that did was turn people away, so I prayed for a change of heart. I have to tell you that now it just makes me so sad. Being the church, we should know about the poor, because how are we going to love them if we don't even know about them?

So I shared with them a few things going on in our world that many of us have been sheltered from. And now I am praying for more opportunities to share with them in a loving and meaningful way.

So, was it worth it?

Yes.

Are there still over 300 million children in the world who do not own a pair of shoes?

Yes.

But the good news is that we can do something about it. Check out how at Toms shoes and Samaritan's Feet


The Fresno/Madera Youth for Christ crew going One Day Without.

1 comment: